"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Amour Rouge 2018: Sparkle On, Darling...


"Diamonds, shining, dancing, dining..." Sophisticated Lady, Duke Ellington (1933)

Postcard(s) to Paris (in all its forms) is my favorite recurring column, here on Pour l'Amour de Paris. But, my adolescent, annual Valentine's Day column (Amour Rouge) definitely takes second place honors - what's more Parisian then celebrating love? I'm proud and happy to say that my readers love this column too. A reader wrote me; asked why I wait to publish Amour Rouge at 12:01a.m. Valentine's Day (U.S.) instead of weeks, or even days, earlier, so people can prepare? My reply: that's the point.  You've got your wardrobe ready - and it's on fleek! Made your dinner reservations; got your dance club all lined up; flowers=check [though I suggest you forgo the ubiquitous store bought card and opt for a handwritten love letter instead (major romance points!)]. Amour Rouge is meant for after all that. Amour Rouge is about delicious last minute details; about the accouterments; that last bit of spice - that renders you unique, different, extra extra. This year's Amour Rouge last minute accoutrement, bit of spice, extra extra inspiration? Sparkles, darlings!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm happy to sparkle like a glazed disco ball." - Paloma Elesser 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


(LaDonna Adrian Gaines) 
31 December 1948 - 17 May 2012

Donna Summer ascended to Super Stardom in 1975. I was 6, so it wasn't until 1979 that I was old enough to appreciate and awe in her fantabulousity. Of course, the first thing that caught my adore was her deep beautifully melodic voice, but on the heels of that was my love of her fashion. Sistah-Gurl was glitter and flowers and I loved every single ounce of her (and always will). I searched and searched for Donna Summer sparkly goddess clothes for myself, to no avail. But when I found and began collaborating with Kristina (seamstress extraordinaire), I decided to design my very own Donna Summer dress (two pieces) - the result became the inspiration for Amour Rouge 2018.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Temple Tidbit: The fabric/sequin flower is in ode to ma mere divine - Dorothy: 
who, in my girlhood, pinned a fabric flower to her ensemble, 
every morning, before she left for work.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"So shine bright...we're beautiful, like Diamonds in the sky." - Rihanna
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


A sparkly top to pair with black leather or cloth pants or a tight pair of jeans: 
Boston Proper 'Multi-Color Sequin Poncho (left, $65)
Express Sparkle Top (right, $50)


Express Silver Sequin Mini Dress (left, $100)
Extra large sparkly cashmere lined wrap with delicate crystal detail
(My design, my eldest-Rory- chose the material(s), and fabulous Kristina made it, right)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Any opportunity to adorn oneself is human and accessories are an easy way to do it." Marc Jacobs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Above: I'm loving me some Charming Charlie and their dizzying array of affordable accessory... everything!
At $5-$40 bucks a pop, these inexpensive, at your local strip mall, blingity bling purses scream Diva (Valentine's Day and every day)
Below: One of my favorite date night purses, a purchase-gift makeup bag from Victoria's Secret


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Life's enchanted cup sparkles near the brim." - Lord Byron
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Costume Jewelry Bling:
Most of these inexpensive, fun pieces are from Charming Charlie and Bebe.
The rings (lower right corner) are gifts from La Dorothy's vault (her twenty gifts to me)
But my most precious piece is the heart ring Never (my youngest) bought me 
from a street vendor on Rue du Rivoli (he was 3 years old. Mamma's heart melts).

Hair Bobs, vintage bracelet and watch.
I searched in vain, for an 'a la Donna' sequins flower for twenty, so I made it myself! 

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's the heels HONEY! Yaaasss!!!!
"The higher the better." - Christian Louboutin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Both pair from Macy's (@$75 each)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The details are not the details. They make the design." - Charles Eames
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Left: Lancome Micro Pallettes "Hologramme" (Ebay)
Right: Killawatt Freestyle Highlight "Trophy Wife" Rihanna (Fenty $34)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There's something extra extra sexy about a softly glittered face, a sprinkle of fairy dust 
on bare shoulders, the small of the back; the nape of the neck, or glittering across manicured nails... 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Every day is a great day to give love, spread joy and SPARKLE." - Sheri Fink

Yes, Valentine's is a day dedicated to love, to be celebrated with the ones we love. But it's also an opportunity to pamper, pay special attention to, yourself - especially important and needed in the crazy, busy, daily lives we lead, where we often forgo self-pampering (we've got jobs to work, bills to pay, children to raise). Every item pictured here is from my personal collection, curated especially for this post - I did so deliberately. Why? Of course you're grinding on the daily, but that doesn't mean you can't take a moment, when the opportunity presents itself, to get yourself a little something pretty, a little something sparkly, a little something that makes you feel beautiful, pampered, and is ready at a moment's notice - like on Valentine's Day. 

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!
Temple
Mr. G and me, sparkling
Photo: Two Birds Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...