"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Sunday, January 31, 2016

Paris Playlist #22 ~ Reminisce

"Sometimes I cry, when I can't do nothing else." 
- Chris Stapleton, Traveller (2015)

In December, Mr. G and I celebrated 30 years of loving each other. As is to be expected, reaching such a milestone, has led me to reminisce about our early years - before marriage and our beautiful three, when we were teenagers and twenty-somethings. There are literally thousands of sweet/bittersweet memories. But one set of memories have stood out - dancing to a slow jam with my love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*For the few of you who don't know, a slow jam is a moody, passionate, romantic song - usually from the Rhythm & Blues and Soul music genres. A slow jam captures lovers' moments in time - meeting, falling in and out of love, breaking up, moving on, getting back together, a combination of all of the above. Back in the day: in a dark smokey club, on a crowded dance floor, holding each other close, his hand at the small of your back, swaying to the music, a soulful voice crooning...oh yeah. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

30 years later, Mr. G and I still love to dance - we regularly meet our friends, at our local hangout, and trip the light fantastic. It's some wonderful fun but 21st century D.J.s no longer play slow jams, even when requested. I've noticed this disturbing trend at wedding receptions too. Quelle tristesse! But just because D.J.s no longer play slow jams, and so few contemporary artists record them, doesn't mean that they no longer exist. You may have to search for them but when you find one...

A few months ago, while watching the Country Music Awards, Justin Timberlake performed with a good friend - Chris Stapleton - and they tore down the house!


"I can't drink you away. I've tried Jack, I've tried Jim.
I've tried all of them." - Justin Timberlake

Chris Stapleton's amazing voice made me want to hear more - to iTunes! That's where I found his 21st century slow jam: "Sometimes I Cry." And once you listen to it, you'll know why I had to add it to my Paris Playlist.

"Sometimes I Cry" - Chris Stapleton (Bing Lounge)

I miss slow jamming and I truly believe that slow jams make the world a better place. Besides, what's more Parisienne? So I guess I'm going to have to lead a revolution. Slow Jams for all! D. J.s get ready. In the meantime, I encourage you to create your own slow jam playlist and sway with your honey at home or wherever/whenever you get the chance. Bien Sur, I'm working on a 'Slow Jam Paris Play List.' Please send me your favorites.

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!

Temple








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...