"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Simply Nappy


"...and I loves every strand of it."
- Alice Walker, the Color Purple



I've been Nappy 2 1/2 years now - lots of lows and highs - but I'm really enjoying the nappity-nap life. More so now that I've simplified my haircare regimen. Yeah, you know I'm gonna share...

There are literally hundreds of sites dedicated to natural haircare and at least an equal number of products - oye. And I find their natural haircare 'regimens' to be overcomplicated and ridiculous to the extreme: pre-pooing (huh?), co-washing (come again?), finger detangling, layering products (I'm talking 5, 6 or more!), all day deep conditioning (whaat?); and that's before you get to the actual drying and styling (who has hours to let their hair air dry on a regular basis - especially during the winter?). Who has time for that? I certainly don't. And, apparently, I'm not the only one who feels this way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"When I hear of expensive products, weird treatments and ungodly hours spent on hair, I wonder why...You can't enjoy your hair if you are constantly caring for it and never take the time to stop and actually admire it."- Naturally Chelsea's Coily Manifesto

*Don't get me wrong, I will continue to faithfully browse my handful of favorite "Nappy' sites - where great tips and products abound. My absolute favorite is Curly Nikki. She's a virtual Nappy encyclopedia. I especially like that she has a search engine. Her painstaking research and personal reviews are invaluable - especially for Sistahs at the start of their au naturale journey.   
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My regimen is pretty bare bones: moisturizing shampoo, moisturizing conditioner (that also doubles as a leave-in), once a week 3 minute deep conditioner; followed by curl creme and oil 


Aussie 'Moist': Shampoo, Conditioner & 3 Minute Miracle
For convenience, speed and low cost, 
I order in bulk from Amazon.

I cannot say strongly enough how much I love this stuff! I wash my hair 1-2 times a week. With Aussie 'Moist' that means: 5 mins to wash and rinse, slick in conditioner, wash my face, brush my teeth then rinse - done! This Moist combo gives me a super whammy of what I need - gently cleans completely, moisturizes and contains the frizz, is sweet smelling and, most importantly, renders silky soft my dry, thin, fragile hair - fast. Then I reapply a nickelish-sized dollop then comb through. Yep a regular and leave-in conditioner all in one. Awesome!

* About that 3 minute miracle - that's exactly what it is. I've found that this ultra-intensive quick deep conditioner - no dryer or heating cap required - carries the same punch as the conditioners you have to leave in for 1 - 4 hours. During my Midwest winters I use this once a week in place of the regular conditioner. 

Next, I comb out my hair with a wide toothed comb - none of that finger detangling jazz. Your local beauty supply shop will have the largest selection. Remember: the wider the tooth, the more gentle. After that, I divide my hair into four pieces, secure with clips and apply the following (dime sized dollop or smaller):


Marc Anthony - Perfect Curl Styling Cream
Amazon.com


Oyin Hair Dew: Daily Hair Drenching Lotion
Amazon.com

Marc Anthony's Curl Envy is the perfect styling cream for my Nappy - creamy, silky, sweet smelling and encourages my hair to curl to la perfection. It's also essential when I rock my Sade look ;-} During this hair journey I've learned that using straight Olive Oil is too heavy for my light locks. Oyin's Hair Dew is a combination of Coconut, Castor, Olive and Colza Oils - that my Nappy loves. My Anthony/Oyin duo drenches, seals and give me massive lasting shine - and it takes all of 10 minutes.Then it's time to diffuse - each piece (about 5ish minutes times 4) et voila! Soft, shiny curls.


Note: This is my regimen for my bi-weekly wash days. Otherwise my daily regimen is much shorter: First thing when I wake up I spritz my hair a spray bottle filled w/ water and two squirts of Aussie Moist Conditioner - just enough to get my head very slightly damp. Then I smooth some Anthony Curl envy into my hands and gently palm it through my hair (remember those ends). Then I do the same w/ the Oyin, scrunch and I'm done. Yep, hair prep done in 5 minutes! By the time I've brushed my teeth, eaten breakfast, drank my cup of coffee, and gotten dressed, my hair is dry and my curls are springing! Another 5 minutes diffusing (optional) + a quick pick out (for extra oomph) and this Sistah Diva is footloose, fancy free and fully Nappy.

Note: One thing I learned the hard way is to have regular trims. I've found a wonderful stylist - Marion - that does natural hair. I go every 2-3 months and get a deep conditioning treatment too. Let me know if any of these products work for you and keep the questions and comments coming my lovelies ;-}

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!

Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...