"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Thursday, February 19, 2015

à errer (to wander)...


"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Like New York and my hometown Chicago, Paris is a walking city - a wanderer's delight. Each has it's own character, architecture, culture feel and flow that I cannot get enough of. Now a days when I go to Paris I go with an entourage: Mr. Gorgeous, our fantastic three, ma mere divine and - of course - Coco. And while we spend most of our time exploring and experiencing the city together, I always schedule at least one full day to wander the city alone...


I especially love this photo because I was able to get 
the gorgeous sky, the Luxor Obelisk
and the Eiffel Tower in one frame.


A tree lined path on the grounds of Tuileries Palace.
The trees are majestic, magnificent and calming. There are dozens of paths, liberally sprinkled with benches and chairs. It's a beautiful peaceful place to
picnic, read, people watch and daydream. 


Cour du Commerce-Saint-André, Saint German des Pres. 
This was my first visit to one of Paris' famous covered passageways. I wandered to my heart's content. So many intriguing little shops and yummy looking restaurants. I have a few more on my list and intend to write a feature about them for Belle Inspiration and for you, bien sur. In the meantime, check out this great article about Paris' passageways by 'Paris Year Abroad.' 


Paris Sunset

A little while ago I blogged about a haunting, stunning photo-exhibit depicting Paris under Nazi occupation/Vichy regime. When I look at those photos - several of which are people wandering occupied Paris - I wonder what it was like, how scary and stressful it must have been, to live in/experience 'that' Paris. What must it have been like, to live in constant fear, never sure if your neighbor or passerby on the street was friend or foe, always keeping a fearful eye on the horizon. 

For the last few weeks Paris has again been occupied  - by a terrorism of a different name, but similar ideology. A terrorism that instills fear in the hearts of everyday people trying to go about their everyday lives. This terrorism is real, pervasive. I fear it will change my beloved city forever. I don't know when I will again visit Paris. But I do know that it will be soon and that I am eagerly looking forward to it. I wonder what I will find when I arrive, what I will experience when I wander. In the meantime, I send my solidarity, strength and fervent hope that Paris continues to do what she has done for 13 centuries - survive and flourish nonetheless. 

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!
Temple

2 comments:

  1. Quelle belle amoureuse de Paris !
    Je ne suis pas Charlie ! Charlie Hebdo était un journal vulgaire, grossier, indélicat, anti-musulman, anti-chrétien.
    Had you been french, you would not have appreciated at all this paper. You would have never bought it. You like ;: la grâce, la finesse, l'élégance. Charlie Hebdo was exactly the opposite.
    I do not agree witj you, the nazi occupation has not been that terrible in Paris. Bars and theatres wer open, and worked very well. What the americans dit do France afterwards was awful : Le Havre, Lorient, Brest, Dieppe, were bombed and devastated ! How may dead people, noone talks abour, just like in Berlin, Dresden, Cologne... Have a nice day, lucki woman with a mister Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friend,
    You missed the entire point of my comments. My point is that no one should have to live in fear. I didn't mention Hebdo, you did. But since you did I will say that I don't care what they wrote, no one deserves to be murdered for speech. And if you think that Jews and other persecuted French were happy living under the Nazis I can honestly say that I don't even know how to respond to that. Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...