"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Monday, February 20, 2012

Prisoner # 280 ~ the further adventures of a Time Lady


Marie Antoinette by Josephe Ducreux (1769)

"Courage! I have shown it for years;
think you I shall lose it at the moment
when my sufferings are to end?"
- Marie Antoinette


Please excuse my sporadic posting. Spring semester is in full swing, and you know what that means. My days are filled with lectures, rigorous class discussion(s), correcting papers (2 dozen at a time - sigh), and research (lots of research) - spending my nights (after the babies go to bed ;-) traveling in my T.A.R.D.I.S. 



Liberty Leading the People
by Eugene Delacroix (1830)

I'm currently in 18th century Paris, during the darkest days of the Revolution. I'm observing Marie Antoinette's trial by the Revolutionary Tribunal. It's some pretty murky stuff, let me tell you. I won't stay long - I can't stand what's going on here and I know what the verdict will be. Besides, I'm meeting the Queen's personal servant Roaslie Lamoliere. I want to learn about the Queen's life in happier times, find out how she came to be a resident at the Conciergerie, where she is known as Prisoner #280. We're meeting at a tiny cafe and I could really use a glass of wine right about now.  

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!

Temple










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...