"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Thursday, July 07, 2011

Petit Dejeuner

"Sunny Breakfast" by Vladimir Volegov

"All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast" 
- John Gunther

For some reason, my body woke me up this morning at dawn. I just opened my eyes, sat up, and felt awake and refreshed (believe me, this is rare). The entire house was asleep, even Coco. The quiet and gorgeous early morning light encouraged me to start my morning off extra right and indulge in a petit dejeuner Parisian.



As I puttered around my brightly sunlit kitchen, gathering the things I needed, I thought about the article I wrote for Romantic Homes. While it wasn't about breakfast, in particular, it was certainly inspired by the Parisian version of breakfast. Jacquline (the magazine's editor) asked me to add suggestions about how a person could create an authentic petit dejeuner for themselves at home. I did so, mais mon petit dejeuner has a bit of Sistah spice. While I was waiting for my francaises presse to finish steeping, I decided to share my suggestions with you...


"Le Petit Dejeuner" by Sarah Lamb (2005)

The Parisian petit dejeuner is a ritual that is all about creating a moment that is simultaneously practical (breaking one's fast) and indulgent (making a simple meal beautiful and a moment to prepare one's self for the coming day's hustle, bustle, and inevitable stress). While the ingredients are simple, they are precise. We begin with - le croissant.


Williams Sonoma has the most amazing ridiculously delicious selection of croissants, turnovers, and buns. 
They're pricy but so worth it.


Bonne Maman Preserves


Pink Grapefruit juice
Any type of juice will do - but be creative

Bien sur, champagne is perfect any time of the day.
But pour le petit déjeuner might I suggest a Mimosa?


Fill your prettiest platter with fresh fruit, cheese, nuts, hardboiled eggs, bacon or ham
- whatever you have on hand.


Of course you can make a yummy pot of American coffee but for an authentic petit dejeuner only French Press will do! Bien sur I blogged about how to make the perfect pot.

Cafe Crème est très délicieux aussi.



You've got your basic ingredients, now for the fun part ;-) Pull out all of your best china, silverware, glassware, and linens - I've dedicated a shelf in one of my kitchen cupboards to hold enough of my best for four. Nothing needs to match. Choose each piece because it appeals to you. Liberally mix in your new treasures with what you've already got. Create your own tablescape. Scour Etsy, Ebay and Amazon. Visit your local flea market and/or resale shop - you can get each piece for a few dollars, and the hunt is more than half the fun. 


Vintage Rogers Flatware Set for 4, circa 1934



I love this mid-century demitasse set


Handpainted sugar bowl, circa 1940


Limoges Creamer, circa 1900. 
So over the top you've gotta love it!

Make sure that you add a vase of flowers, the morning paper, your journal and/or a good book. Your table is set, now sit and enjoy the morning sun, the quiet and some precious time to yourself, for yourself. You'll be happily suprised at how indulging yourself for an hour, at the beginning of the day, makes the rest of your day...pretty wonderful. I hope that I've inspired you. Please tell me about and/or send me pictures of your petit dejuener, I'll post them ;-)

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!

Temple

Petit Dejeuner, Paris, 2000




2 comments:

  1. How refreshing! I love the selection of artwork especially!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you daaaaling,

    Sarah Lambs work especially spoke to me - stunning. Check her out: sarahlamb.net.
    I've got my eye on that 1940s sugar bowl ;-)
    Miss you sista.

    T

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...