"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Wednesday, November 24, 2010

reconnaissants pour (grateful for)

Dorothy at the foot of the Eiffel Tower

I just got finished putting what seems like a truck load of food and spirits away, prepping for Turkey Day. It's late and the house is asleep. Even Coco is softly snoring on her crown shaped fushia pillow emblazened with 'Princess' - yeah, she's a Diva too ;-) Mom came downstairs and helped me put the last few items away. I poured two flutes of champagne and we sat at the kitchen table, enjoying our perfectly chilled champagne and each other. As she got up, to finish her champagne in bed, I just thought: I am so goddess grateful to have her in my life, in my husband's life, in our children's lives.

My mom is truly an extraordinary woman. A favorite quote comes to mind: "Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn" - Gore Vidal. That's how my mother has always been: elegant, stylish, wicked smart, and oh so fierce. She never cared what people said she could or could not do. She just did what she dreamed.

Look at the picture above. Mom's nearly 83 years old but do you think she'd let that stop her from wandering far and wide through the city she's loved for more than 70 years? Pas du tout (no way). She walked and stood as long as she could and when she could no longer, I pulled out her travel chair. It did not matter where or when: waiting in line to enter L'Orangerie, on a street corner while we waited for a cab, waiting for our bags to be checked at Charles de Gaulle, on rue du Rivoli next to a stand of bags as she chose which ones she wanted to buy. She looked so regal, so grand sitting there.  

Mom taking her ease in the midst of a 100,000 people strong protest

In countless grande and petit ways she makes my life so wonderful, all the while living her life to the fullest. A lesson to us all. So, on this holiday where we reflect on and give thanks for our life's bounty, I'm starting with my fantabulous mom. Here's to you mommy, I love you.

Vivre, rire, aimer!

Temple

Me & Mom, Paris 2009

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...