"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Sunday, June 12, 2016

Orlando













"But I don't understand! I don't understand how this all happens. How we go through this. I mean, I knew her, and then she's, there's just a body, and I don't understand why she just can't get back in it and not be dead anymore! It's stupid! It's mortal and stupid! And, and Xander's crying and not talking, and, and I was having fruit punch, and I thought, well Joyce will never have any more fruit punch, ever, and she'll never have eggs, or yawn or brush her hair, not ever, and no one will explain to me why." 
– Anya, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've been following the media coverage of the horrific, brutal and devastatingly sad massacre in Orlando, the FaceBook comments (loving and hateful), and the outpouring of grief, support, grace and love from countless many. I needed time to process this overwhelming wave of murderous hate and debated for half a second if I would post about it. But, ya'll know me.
I have been an LGBT ally for my entire life (thanks to my now 87 year old mother, who led by love, word and example - thanks mommy): the best man at my parents' wedding, my babysitter [for most of my and my sister's childhood(s)], many of my parents' closest friends - who loved and helped raise my sister and I - were/are LGBT. I grew up in Boy's Town, Chicago (lived there for 20+ wonderful years). A community that fully, freely and with open arms welcomed my interracial family and (years later) a lanky pimply faced Black girl and the tall, skinny, equally pimply faced Mr. G white boy she fell head over heels in love with. I am proud to have LGBT people as students, colleagues, beloved friends and family members.
I send my heart and love; prayers of grace, peace and solidarity to the slain men and women of Orlando - and to their parents, siblings and families; their husbands, wives, partners, lovers and friends.
I've been listening/reading the need by some to obfuscate, ignore and/or totally lie about the fact that this was a hate crime - specifically leveled at the LBGT community; debates about gun-control, the Islamic-terrorist threat, etc. But all I can see/focus on is that nearly 50 lives, fellow human beings - were targeted, murdered; and another 50 survived by the hair of their chinny chin chins. The political and socio-cultural bullshit fades so far away in the face of the fact that these beautiful precious individual people will never again enjoy fruit punch, or eggs, or yawn or brush their hair - not ever, and no one will explain to me, why...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...