"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Velma Bury

Velma Bury
(c) Discover Paris!

"The center of the art world is nowhere and everywhere." - Velma Bury


I've compiled a lovely collection of Paris-centric blogs. One of my favorites is Entree to Black Paris. Brainchild of Monique Y. Wells (long-time Paris resident, freelance travel writer and editor), Entree... focuses on the history, culture and contemporary life of Black Paris, though all are welcome.

There's a venerable, multi-hued, multi-faceted Black (African and African American) community in Paris and Entree... keeps me abreast of the latest goings on in this community - yet another face of my beloved Paris. One of the best features of Entree...is Monique's fascinating profiles of the women of the Black expat-community; and not only because I hope to be a member  of this community one day.

Monique's latest profile is about Velma Bury. A New York native who has called Paris home for 40+ years. Madame Bury came to Paris for love and art and carved out her own unique fantabulous place - on her own terms, and forged some new ground along the way. I invite you to meet this beautiful, interesting, and inspirational woman: Madame Bury 1; Madame Bury 2.

Madame Bury's life and experiences have inspired me - I have to meet her. I'm going to contact Monique and see if I can find a way to contact Madame Bury - I'd love to talk with her, glean some sistah-wisdom-inspiration over a glass or three of champagne. I'll keep you updated. In the meantime...enjoy.

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!

Temple

For love and art...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...