"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Friday, March 09, 2012

Show & Tell Friday: a few of my favorite things


"When the dog bites.
When the bee stings.
When I'm feeling sad.
I simply remember my favorite things
and then I don't feel so bad."

The wheel continues to turn and, before you know it, another week has passed. I just realized that I have not contributed to Show and Tell Friday for awhile - I miss you guys ;-) My career life has been a bit...funky of late. This funkiness, and my working my way through the other end of it, inspired this Friday's contribution.




A romantic rendevous with Mr. Gorgeous
at the Hilton down the street from the Arc du Triumph

After our 1st family trip to Paris (2009), I decided to create an art-piece dedicated to my favorite memories of Paris. I went to my local arts and crafts store and wandered the aisles, waiting for inspiration to strike. When I came across a stand of blank wrapped canvases, I knew what I wanted to do...a word collage hommage to Paris.



I purchased the largest canvas there (60" tall by 48" wide), a set of alphabet stencils, some paint and brushes. I asked Mr. Gorgeous, mom and the kids to make a list of their favorite people, places, and things in Paris; then I added my own to the list.





It took a few days to: draw a rough design, cut out each stencil, and paint the canvas. Another few days to score the canvas with a pencil, place the letters, and trace each letter. And an entire week to painstakingly handpaint each letter and accent. 






The rows are not particularly straight and the letters are not all the same size. Nevertheless, or perhaps because of its imperfections, my word collage is simply perfect. Every brush stroke is a treasured memory of Paris; memories of Paris with my family. It will probably never hang on a museum or gallery wall, but that's okay it was never meant to. This huge glorious canvas sits in my family room - where we enjoy it everyday. "I simply remember my favorite things..."

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...