"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Saturday, October 15, 2011

Winter


"I love Paris in the winter...I love Paris every moment,
every moment of the year." - Cole Porter (1953)


I've only been to Paris in the Winter once. In 1994 my parents, Peter and I decided to celebrate Christmas in Paris, New Year's in Rome. It was a magical trip. The city felt (was) empty - the parks, museums, restaurants, streets. And it wasn't too cold (and you know how I hate the cold!) It was soft, quiet, and gorgeous! I've always intended to return in Winter - but life, school, marriage, babies, and a career put my return down to the very bottom of my list of things to do.

But during my last trip, one afternoon as Mimi and I wandered the Marais, I realized that now is the time, my time to return to Paris in the Winter. No children (thank God for mom!). Just Coco and I (and maybe Mr. Gorgeous - finger's crossed). I'm going to visit with friends, interview/photograph some people and places, see if I can get a few shops to carry my bracelets and earrings and just...wander the city, photographing to my heart's content!

I've been sitting here trying to find the words to describe the feeling of Paris in Winter, but I can't find them. Often I find that mere words are tragically inadequate to describe feelings and experience. They fail to translate the height and breadth of the intangible. So I wandered around the 'web for inspiration - again, no joy. Just as I was about to give up, I stumbled across a blog post: 10 Reasons to visit Paris in the Winter. While G., too, tries find the words they fall short - not because of her lack of talent as a writer, but because...it's Paris! What G. does do is capture Paris in Winter through her stunning, breathtaking photography. G. has inspired me and now, even more than ever, I can't wait to get to Paris...

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!

Temple




2 comments:

  1. Temple,

    Paris in the winter sounds beautiful. I took a look at G's site...her photos are fantastic! I would love to spend Christmas there someday... or at the very least, winter. I am looking forward to seeing the changes here at the beach as the winter approaches. Already, the people have mostly gone away. Often, I have the beach to myself on morning and afternoon walks. I am so happy you are making your dreams come true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Dee,

    Yes, G's photos took my breath away. She's quite talented, I've got to up my game ;-) I'm looking forward to seeing your photos of your beach in Winter. Strange enough, I never see Winter beach photos and I've no idea why. The beach is gorgeous in the Winter and I know that you'll capture some great stuff.

    I'm really trying to make my dreams come true. It's a slow, scary, frustrating, exciting journey. All I am sure of is that I'm going to work my fingers to the bone to make it happen. Now is my time. It's your time too...

    So much love!

    T

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...