"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Monday, October 17, 2011

French Girl's Wardrobe - the Winter Edition: Diva Style

"French Girl's Wardrobe" (5x5 fine art print, $10) by Lesley Sico

"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say,
and not giving a damn." - Gore Vidal

I'm deep into planning, and preparing for, my Winter return to Paris. Of course I have to add a few Winter friendly pieces to my Diva travelers' wardrobe have-to-have list. Gotta keep my French Girl's Wardrobe fresh, after all, I'm representing for the fantabulous-fortysomethings!



1. Outerwear


Plaza Coat w/ thinsulate lining ($300) - J.Crew
in 7 amazing colors.

Yes, this coat ain't cheap. But a high quality, well made winter coat rarely is. But I purchased a similar coat at J.Crew 20 years ago and it's still as gorgeous today as it was then (the only downside is that you've got to send it to the cleaners to keep it that way). Still I did find these less expensive alternatives at Victoria's Secret - pretty good quality in lots of colors:


Side Tab Coat ($134 @ Victoria's Secret)


Wool Wrap Coat ($158 @ Victoria's Secret


The Ridge Cowl in Onyx ($69) - Lindell Place

Candice's Ridge Cowl in Scarlet


I purchased Candice's one-of-a-kind Willow Cardigan from Candice (Lindell Place). And I've had my eye on her Ridge Cowl's. With color options like Citrine, Scarlet, Amethyst, Emerald, Stone, and Linen how can a DIVA traveler go wrong?



Leather Cashmere Lined Leather Gloves with Rabbit Fur Cuffs ($40) by Luxury Lane (Amazon)

I'm pretty confident that these gloves will keep my hands and fingers toasty warm in a cold Paris January, and I think that the fingers will be close fitting enough to not hinder my 'trigger' finger. As for the ear muffs, yes they're super warm, but the best part is that this innovative design won't mess up my (or your) hair.

 
Cloche Faux Fur Lined Fleece Ear Muffs ($7) - by Luxury Divas (Amazon)


2. Footwear

 
UGGS - $150 (Victoria's Secret)

Several winters ago, one day on campus, it seemed as though every co-ed was wearing a pair of these - in several different styles, prints and colors. Of course I asked my students about them and the consensus was super warm, super soft, super comfortable, and super durable. I ordered my pair that day. The best part? I can wear these with no socks, even on the coldest winter day - and I'm talking about a midwestern winter. Still, a girl's gotta have an evening shoe even in the winter:


 
Globe Trot Clog ($50) - Rocket Dog


I first saw these shoes on my diva-sistah R. When I see something gorgeous, I'm woman enough to ask where it came from. I wasn't suprised when R told me she got them from Amazon (I love me some Amazon!) These shoes have everything I love about a clog: they're a wedge design (that means that the 4 inches wear like 3); they're lined with a chunky fleece (super warm and cozy) and feel like you're wearing house slippers or UGGS - seriously (I've even worn them w/o socks through the snow); they're sturdy-comfortable (even over gravel, cobblestone, etc.); and they look great with pants (no skirts for me in the winter - no way). Believe me ladies, I've road tested them!

3. Wardrobe


Boiled Wool Wrap Sweater ($84) - Sandmaiden


Boiled Wool Wrap Sweater color choices


Blouse w/ Draped Neckline ($90) - by Sandmaiden

Blouse w/ Draped Neckline color choices


Wool Crepe Palazzo Pants ($94) - from Sandmaiden




I'm sure that, by now, you've noticed that I'm a little (okay a lot) into Sandmaiden. But it's for good reason(s). Amanda's designs are deceptively simple, elegant, chic, very high quality, and are easy to care for [Woolite, hand wash and hang dry (just be sure to finish off with a steamer or iron); or, delicate cycle (clothes washer and dryer)]. Amanda's designs beautifully fit every body type (at every age). Each of her pieces (regardless of the collection) mix and match: Garanimal-Diva-Couture! This means that: 2-3 tops, 2 cardigans, 1-2 pair of pants and 2 pairs of jeans not only easily fit into a tiny wheeled carry on, they equal at least 1 week's worth of Divatude-fashion, or a weekend's worth of choices.   

But the best part is that, not only are you supporting a small business, Amanda's fabulous pieces are handmade to your body. Amanda offers what every fashion conscious woman would love to have and can rarely afford - beautiful clothing that is literally one-of-a-kind, created for your body. Oh  and her pants make my butt look awesome!

Alright I've dealt with my Winter wardrobe, next (and most importantly) I've got to get all of my essentials into a tiny carry-on (22x14x9) and a tote bag - sigh.

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!

Temple

Working it like a French Girl in my Sandmaiden Palazzos!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...