"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

My Motley Crew: (left to right)
Never - 6 (Luigi from Mario Bros.);
Rory - 10 (Derek Rose from the Chicago Bulls basketball team); 
Sage - 8 (Cleopatra).

"Nothing on Earth is so beautiful as the final haul on Halloween."
- Steve Almond

I've always observed Samhain as a Wiccan/Earth sabbat - the most important turn of the wheel, signifier of: the Earth's new year, the final harvest, and the time when the veil between the realms is the most thin. But, like Christmas (Yule), Halloween is a children's holiday. And Motherhood has given me the gift of seeing this holiday (and the world, at large) through the non-fettered, wildly limitless imagination and dreams of my children - yet another of the countless gifts my three give to Peter, Mom and I ;-)


Peter at the office - he sure is an Angry Bird!

Thanks to my children, all the adults in my household are fully invested in Halloween. Peter takes our three trick-o-treating, while Mom, Coco and I (all in full costume, of course!) hand out candy to the little ones. Also, Peter and I wear our costumes to work - hee hee.


Professor Fairy! My students love it ;-)

I can't say enough how wonderful it is to let loose, be kooky, and, if only for a day and a night, just be...a kid. To revel in a child's joy of simple things - a new costume, carving a Pumpkin, watching scary movies all bundled together on the couch in front of the tele, dumping the night's haul onto the kitchen table and having candy-loot for dinner (and a bit for breakfast too). But the best part? Being a FAMILY. Is my or any family perfect? Is it easy? Is it worry free? Well, of course not! But it's amazing and comfortable and sweet and filled with laughter and loving and...my family - I sho' am a lucky little diva ;-)

*And for those of you who don't have children, or whose children are grown and gone, Halloween is especially for you. Next Halloween be a child's or adult's sponsor: 
- dress up in a fantabulous costume (I'm especially fond of fairies, nymphs and goddesses)
- put together little baggies of treats
- go to your local children's home or the the children's Cancer wing of the nearest hospital or ask at the nearest school or community center if there are any children who need a trick-o-treat companion.
- how about going to your local retirement home and being someone's 'child' for the evening; bring the magic of this holiday.

That's my goal for next Halloween. Let's see if we can spread the joy and kookiness around, oui? In the meantime, Happy Halloween to you all - and make sure that you stock up on the Tums!

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!

Temple






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...