"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Friday, April 22, 2011

Show & Tell Friday: Ostrich Egg Oil Lamp

Ostrich Egg Oil Lamp

"Love must be as much a light, as it is a flame." - Henry David Thoreau


This is a handblown, hand-painted oil lamp made to look like an Ostrich egg. It's 5 1/2" tall, 4" at it's widest part. It's painted with irridescent paint so thick you can feel the ridges and sworls. It's delicate, feminine and so beautiful but it also gives off a surprising amount of light; and the oil lasts forever. It's one of my favorite pieces and it sits on my home-desk. When I sit down to work, I usually light it (day or night). I use it as a focal point when I'm writing - it really helps me to focus on the flame and collect my thoughts or recenter myself.

I bought this oil lamp 15 years ago, at a little boutique in the 'Old Town' near my home. I was planning my wedding, looking for bridesmaid's gifts. It was pretty expensive, too expensive to buy 8 of them, but it was so beautiful and unique that I decided to buy one - a wedding gift to myself ;-)
 
Unfortunately I've lost the receipt and paperwork that came with it, it's not signed, and the boutique closed not long after I purchased the lamp. I'd love to know who the artist is; it would be nice to see what the artist is up to and buy a few more pieces of her/his incredible art - sigh. Still, I consider myself fortunate to have this treasure.

HAPPY EASTER!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   
Previous Show & Tell: Japanese Dude

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!
 
Temple
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...