"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Tuesday, November 02, 2010

I Voted Today


People's Protest ~ Paris, October 2010


I voted today. It was refreshing and illuminating to be in Paris, far removed from the bubble of the current U.S. political environment. Far away from Tea Parties, mindless pundits, fictitious death panels and mealy mouthed, petulant 'progressives.' On our 3rd day, we decided to walk to the nearby Musee Rodin. As we neared our destination, we noticed more and more people (walking, milling, gathering). By the time the museum was in sight, we found ourselves in the midst of 100,000 people - a social protest.



Solidarity


The Sarkozy administration recently proposed a resolution to raise the retirement age and cut other retirement benefits. The protest we stumbled upon was amazing. There were people of every type: young, old, all colors and classes. I picked up my camera. I had to document, bear witness...






Sarkozy in Effigy


Thank goodness Peter speaks French. We were able to talk to a lot of people. Everyone was in a good mood and were very kind. And they got a kick of the kids being there. Yeah, leave it to me to find myself in the middle of a protest AND bring my kids with me. And I'm so glad that I did. It was wonderful, powerful to show my children democracy in action.




Sage and Rory - down with the cause!

I'm home now. Back to the Tea Parties, mindless pundits, fictitious death panels and mealy mouthed petulant 'progressives.' My Paris protest experience re-enforced my belief that no matter who you are or where you come from, your voice counts. The Sarkozy Administration pushed through those unpopular changes. And I'm sure that the Sharon Angles, Sarah Palins, and Rand Pauls of this U.S. moment will shrill the loudest, successfully pander to our fear and racist reactionary negative selves and win the day - today. But KNOW HOPE. You cannot allow this fear/rage mongering to silence your voice or disable your common sense, I won't. Read, watch, pay attention. My vote is my voice. And I will be heard. I voted today. Did you?


Vivre, rire, aimer!

Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...