"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Monday, September 09, 2019

fifty

 

"Today I will be happier than a bird with a french fry."

I knew exactly how I wanted to celebrate Fifty. I had plotted and planned for months. However, a week before the official celebration, Mr. Gorgeous told me he had plans too. He and Julie (my amazing sista, by marriage, love and friendship) hosted a pre-birthday celebration in my hometown (Chicago)... 


A romantic champagne dinner for two at my favorite Chicago French restaurant Maude's Liquor Bar
Followed by my oldest and closest friends gathering for live music, dancing and more champagne at the Bassment


The bubbly was free flowing, as was the laughter and love. We danced until the wee hours. Perfect. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Temple Tip: Dance, Frolic, Twirl, Leap, Strut!

"It takes a long time to get to be a diva. I mean, you gotta work at it." - Diana Ross


My birthday ensemble:
Pale pink, multi-tiered tulle skirt, I wore as a dress (ChicWish) with silver metallic stilettos (Prada)

Temple Tip: when you celebrate a milestone (any and all of your milestones), embrace your entire Diva! Let her run wild! Don't play it safe or adhere to some stupid stuffy mantra of what's appropriate for a 'woman of a certain age' to wear. Tap into and fully indulge your every whimsy. I wore that dress (made of fantasy, silk, whimsy and fluffy tulle) with a fabulous pair of impractically perfect sky-high Diva stilettos.  Magic!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where to celebrate Fifty? Shangri-La, bien sur
Sky above, sand below, peace within...

When I first stepped foot on the deck of our Lake Michigan beach cottage rental, I envisioned hosting my family and friends for an intimate sunset dinner party. Little did I know then that, nearly ten years later, Fifty would be that moment.... 


From the fantabulous Beth (who helped me plan and execute our Twentieth wedding anniversary celebration) I rented the tables, chairs, linens and mismatched vintage china. The wildflowers came from the local farmer's market (I arranged the gorgeous blooms in my collection of funky Mason jars). The mismatched silver is mine, as are the votives and vintage champagne buckets. Sage and I spent an afternoon at Goodwill, painstakingly selecting two dozen mismatched crystal goblets and lowball glasses. The result was simple, elegant, beautiful.



In addition to the lovely wildflowers, the local farmer's market also provided the produce for the appetizer tray I created. My birthday dinner was catered by Flagship Specialty Foods & Fish Market, as was our amazing two person staff: Christine and Robert. My birthday dessert table's deliciousness was created by Froehlich's Bakery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fifty Menu
Hors d'oeuvres
Plateau de Fruits, Fromage, Charcuterie, Pate et Craquelins 
Classic Shrimp Cocktail w/ Spicy Cocktail Sauce & Lemon Wedges

Le Diner
Whole Side of Roasted Salmon
Chicken Vesuvio with Roasted Potatoes & Green Peas
Grilled Asparagus

Le Dessert
Strawberries & Cream Celebration Cake w/ Sparklers
Petit Fours Buffet:
Chocolate Cake w/ Chocolate Ganache & Chocolate Mousse
Key Lime Glasses: Key Lime Pie filling w/ Biscoff cookie crust, garnished w/ fresh Berries
Petite Blueberry Almond Tarts: baked Vanilla Almond crust topped w/ fresh Blueberries

Les Libations
Chandon Brut
Cascinetta Vietti Moscato d'asti
Schweppes Ginger Ale
La Croix Sparkling Water w/ Lime Wedges
Starbucks Coffee, 'Veranda Blend'
Twinings Tea, 'Earl Grey'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The tables were set, the champagne chilling, Christine and Robert were working their magic in the kitchen, my personally curated Fifty Playlist was softly crooning in the background, the sun was shining. All that was left was for our guests to arrive!



"To be rich in friends, is to be poor in nothing." - Lilian Whiting

My children's gift to me were speeches they each gave (not a dry eye) culminated by the best three birthday toasts. I loved it!
"A mother's treasure is her daughter." 


"....and she loved [two] little boy[s] very very much-even more than she loved herself." 
The Giving Tree, Shel Silverstein




"This is the power of gathering. It inspires us - delightfully.
To be more hopeful, more joyful, more thoughtful: 
In a word, more alive." - Alice Waters


Truly, my Shangri-La is one of the most beautiful places in the world.
The soft breeze off the lake, brilliant sun, warm sand, towering trees, tall grasses and...quiet.
I always feel safe and at peace when I'm here. Even occasional rain and overcast sky gives me respite.
I loved sharing this magical place with the people I love.


Between dinner and dessert, we and our guests went down to the beach for a sunset birthday champagne toast. I brought one of our very large indoor/outdoor area rugs from my back deck (a comfortable place to sit, that also protected us from the biting 'no-see-ums,' that lurk in the sand). Sadly, the lake has risen so high, there's only about 5% of the beach left :-{ So we placed our rug in a sandy area, surrounded by lovely tall grass. Our perch was elevated 10 feet, giving us a perfect view of the beach, lake, sky and sunset.




Our 3 filled ten mason jars with sand, put two votives in each; 
then placed them along the pathway and steps leading down to the beach

 

On top of the rug, two Ravinia tables covered w/ four yards of inexpensive plain white cotton fabric (Jo-Ann's), two of my mason jars, filled with gorgeous farmer's market wildflowers, and a small cooler filled with ice and two bottles of champagne.


"Come quickly, I am tasting the stars!" - Dom Perignon




We watched a spectacular sunset, then made our way back upstairs for birthday cake, gift opening, a desert buffet and champagne. We sat outside in the gorgeous night, talking listening to music. It was absolutely perfect.




After we hugged, kissed and said our goodbyes for now; after the rentals were picked up, and the last glasses put in the dishwasher, I had a few more days in my Shangri-La: I lazed on the beach with Mr. G and Coco, watched a few BBC mysteries with mom, cooked for our three and walked 'my' beach. I reflected on my past 50 years - the triumphs and failures, all that I had lost and won, how happy and grateful I am to be in the middle of a third decade with the love of my life; what wonderful children we've given us. I love my little life. Then I started thinking about what my future holds. I don't know much, except I'm looking forward to it; and Fifty ain't ready for me.

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!
Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...