"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Friday, August 07, 2015

and so my garden grows...


"Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?
With Silver Bells, And Cockle Shells, 
And so my garden grows."
- English Nursery Rhyme (1744)

It's funny how an experience can trigger a cherished memory which, in turn, can lead to completely unexpected inspiration...

A few weeks ago I got a phone call from the editor of Glancer Magazine. Glancer is a lovely print and online publication that exclusively carries features and articles about the small group of towns I live among (dining, arts, entertainment, events, etc.) One of their monthly features is about one 'fashionable woman about town:' a short bio, where she likes to shop, eat, party, relax, etc. The feature is called "Girl's Just Want to Have Fun." I've been chosento be that 'fashionable woman about town' for their September issue - how cool is that?! In addition to a questionnaire, the magazine arranges for a photo shoot at the locale of my choosing - the place I love the most, that makes me the happiest. The decision was easy...my home. When I spoke to the photographer, he asked that I choose a place inside and outside of my home for the shoot.


Bien sur, for the interior - my 'White Room.' For the exterior - the little landing outside my front door.   On it there's just enough room for my lit Eiffel Tower, two chairs and a table. 


So I went to my trusty local Trader Joe's for flowers for my 'White Room' and a few pots of flowers for my little outdoor table. But when I had arranged my outdoor flowers, my little perch was still too empty. So I added two large pots of the most gorgeous pink Hydrangeas.


But it still wasn't enough. So I went to my favorite local nursery - Platt Hill. I hadn't been there in years. And as I wandered up and down the verdant rows of plants, grasses, trees and flowers, I started thinking about my garden - long gone now (I couldn't be a new mother and a gardener). I'd always planned to plant a new garden. Still wasn't sure that I could, but I still chose self sowing annuals and perennials.




I spent this entire day with my hands deep in the dirt - what a forgotten joy! As my eldest was helping me unload my car, lay out my beautiful finds, and plant them - it hit me. My children are 14, 12 and 10. I now have the time and space to garden again and now I have helpers ;-}


My template - I'll start on the right-hand side.
After tomorrow's photo shoot, the pink Hydrangeas are going into the ground.

I've always wanted an English Country Garden. I think it's time I made that happen and you know I'm gonna blog as I go. I think I'll call my latest blog feature: "...and so my garden grows." Fall is fast approaching, so I'll have a good amount of time to plot, scheme and plan. So it will probably be quite awhile before I again post in this topic. In the meantime - calling you gardeners! I'd dearly appreciate tips and advice. 

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!

Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...