"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Saturday, December 13, 2014

Ensignement...

Mint tea and history - the perfect way to begin every day

"In learning you will teach, and in teaching you will learn."
- Phil Collins

Hello my lovelies, oh how I have missed you!

I have not posted since mid-October but once I tell you why, I think you'll understand... On a sunny July afternoon, my History Department Chair (and friend) called me and asked if I was ready to return to my calling - teaching. To my surprise I said yes. No, I didn't miss the interminable academic vs. administrative politicking, or the shitty pay, or the lack of career upward mobility. But I did miss daily engaging in my love of history (in the written word and all its other forms); I missed the challenges, frustrations and rewards of class discussions. But, simply and most powerfully,  I missed my students. So, after a two year hiatus, in September I returned to the classroom - and that's when things got really interesting ;-}

Humanities 250 - The Contemporary World (Fall 2014)
  
The first thing I learned when I returned was that I had to deal w/ a whole new 'kind' of student: often falling asleep in class (in 9 years of teaching that's never happened), they had very rarely done or prepared the assigned readings, refused to participate in discussions and refused to fulfill the requirements of term paper writing. I had to deal with a lot of attitude - theirs and mine!  In addition to mommy hood, writing and art - something had to give/go - je suis desole

I was floundering, trying to find my footing. Then I remembered that my brain, passion, sassiness, stubbornness, Chanel Rouge Allure #99, and 5 inch heels are formidable tools - so I started wielding them, refused to take no for an answer and something wonderful happened.

Humanities 240 - Converging Hemispheres (Fall 2014)

I stopped second guessing myself, got my game together, demanded even more from my students, and they... responded in kind. While my first semester back was a bumpy lumpy ride, it was all good in the end and I am eagerly looking forward to next semester. Stay tuned...

But I have not ceased or even slowed down in my Paris-loving life or ways - I just haven't been blogging about them. Yeah, I know, shame on me ;-}  In my convertible - with my trusty notebook, cameras, Coco (and sometimes Mr. G.) by my side - I have had some wonderful adventures Parisienne that I just can't wait to share with you. 

I've just begun my Winter Break. And while I still have a formidable pile of final term papers to grade and final grades to submit - I could not wait one moment longer to return to my beloved Pour l'Amour. So please bear with me as I jump on my virtual T.A.R.D.I.S. for the next few posts. It's good, si bon, to be back.

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!

Temple
Writing 101 (Fall Semester 2014)











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...