"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Cozy - a French Girl's Wardobe

My pathway home, through the Tuilleries

Autumn...the year's last, loveliest smile." 
- William Cullen Bryant




Spring to Summer is the most popular Paris-tourist season, closely followed by Christmas & New Years. Of course, I'd rather live in Paris year-round - sigh. But (for now) I have to pick two weeks of one season to visit my beloved. I choose Autumn. The weather is simply gorgeous - warm and sunny enough that there are still plenty of flowers blooming in the gardens and parks; on colorful kaleidoscopic display on the sidewalks outside of every flower shop; and in the window boxes on the faces of buildings and ringing most outdoor cafe terraces.


Autumn blooms in the Tuileries 
looking towards the Louvre.

The majority of the tourists have gone home leaving the rues, cafes, museums and parks wonderfully...empty. I firmly believe that Autumn is the absolute best time to wander the city, discover and experience all the wonderfulness of Paris to your heart's content, and take your sweet time doing it: pick up a few treasures at an antiques-vintage flea market, discover your favorite neighborhood spot, make new friends.

Making new friends... 

Still, there's a chill in the air - a portent of the arrival of winter temperatures and gray skies. But not cold enough for a winter coat. No, Autumn in Paris is sweater-coat weather. I love sweater coats. My mother introduced them to me. I was 12 and it was our first trip to Paris. Mom wore a different sweater coat every day (with a matching cashmere wrap) - gliding along Paris' rues and down museum halls. She always looked so effortlessly chic, beautiful, tres elegante. In my early 20s she gave me all of hers (we share them now ;-} and I've been collecting them ever since. I'm always on the lookout for my next addition to my collection and I've found a few that I think you'll really like - to add to your French Girls Wardrobe...


Simple Girlz


"Paris is always a good idea." 
- Audrey Hepburn, Sabrina (1954)


The Hepburn Coat @ $130 (USD)

Oui, je sais, this is not a sweater coat but hear me out. It's materials are very sweater coat-like (cotton, wool, silk, & nylon). It's lightweight but warm. The shape and form is Diva-fantastiuqe flowy. The color is simply...yummy. And the price is right. Besides, it's very Matrix-chic/cool.





Bat-Sleeve Hand-Knit Cardigan

Can't you see yourself wearing this with a pair of leggings and 5" stacked ankle boots? Yeah, me too. 





"Serving up eye candy vintage"



"Mustard Yellow" Vintage Wool-Knit Cape

Confession time. I loved this cape so much, I purchased it ;-} It arrived today and I wore it tonight - on a pretty cold windy Chicago evening. This vintage piece arrived in perfect pristine condition, is very warm, looks and feels rich and wears fabulously. Scroll through Ms. Tips vintage finds - you won't be sorry. 





"Pity about the scarf. Madame Nostradamus made it for me.
A witty little knitter." - Dr. Who, The Ark in Space (1975)



Admittedly this one is a splurge, and the staging of these photos do not do this item justice. But this sweater is hand-knit (extremely labor intensive), is quirky - in a totally cool Time Lady way, and is also very cutting edge chic. It's a special piece that you'll wear every chance you get. Plus there's the added Diva pre-requisite that you'll probably never ever see anyone wearing it.





"Elizabeth: 
How did you know? 
How did you know 
I'd respond to you the way I have?
John:
I saw myself in you." 

9 1/2 Weeks (1986) 


Ivory Cocoon @ $60 (USD)

The 1980s cult-time-capsule film classic 9 1/2 Weeks came on when I was originally composing this post. Kim Basinger's (Elizabeth's) wardrobe in this film stands as a fashion-hommage to the best of 1980s fashion (to this day): slim two piece black skirt suits, shiny black patent leather 4" heels (5" heels are totally 21s century ;-} slouchy soft sweaters. Watch the movie and you'll understand the fashion aesthetic I'm talking about...   


To complete the sweater coat look, add a wrap and/or a cloche hat. Overstock has shawl/wraps in every material, pattern and color you can possibly think of at some great prices. Etsy has the largest  variety of Cloches (new, vintage, and/or handmade). Sweater coats for your French Girl's Wardrobe - tres bonne chose.

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!

Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...