"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Friday, December 21, 2012

Show & Tell Friday: Mantel Vignette


"There is no place more delightful 
than one's own fireplace."
- Marcus Tullius Cicero




Last summer, I blogged about my own little space. A refuge from the challenges of motherhood, the challenges of being a university professor, the challenges and distractions of the world. A literal and figurative space that allows me to freely create, read, sip, nibble, snooze, write, dream  - my atelier. My atelier also serves as the canvas for my personal whims, fancies and desires. Not kid friendly, not husband friendly, not practical or trendy - just...for me and my imagination. 

One of my favorite things in my Atelier is my petite ventless fireplace. My little room gets very cold in the winter - and spring, summer and fall evenings can and do get quite chilly. So the crackling fire that warms my room is very welcome indeed. Its narrow/short mantel also serves as yet another space for me to create.  The vignettes change with the season and/or my fancy. A few days ago I created a new vignette. Yeah, I had to share with my Show & Tell Friday peeps...


The lamp is an old Target purchase $20). A while ago I purchased a yard of Chartreuse tulle with gold paillettes fabric (Fabrics & Trimmings) because it was so pretty. It's been bundled in my crafts closet since I received it - well, no longer. The beads on top are a souvenir from an author's convention. 


Every year, the day after Thanksgiving, I go to my local Michael's Arts & Crafts store to purchase 3-5 Christmas ornaments (yeah, you can never have too many tree ornaments!) I got serious about my ornament collection @ 5 years ago - so I've got a lot of ground to make up ;-} Anyway as I was wandering the aisles, I saw this faux velvet flocked mini dress form - mine! I got the Paris-inspired tin necklace eons ago (don't remember from whom or when). Around the dress form's neck is a bracelet my daughter - Sage - bought for me at a flea market (in Geneva, IL ?)


My Judith pendant in silver.



"Irish Bay"
5x7 oil painting by KF Collection


Cordelia makes the most amazing soaps!



I found this gorgeous Klimt inspired votive in one of those tiny souvenir shops that line rue du Rivoli.


My most precious girlhood possession is this photo of my beloved sister - Rory - and I (we're about 10 and 11). She's been gone for nearly 20 years and I love this photo most of all because it represents the best of our childhoods - safe, loved, healthy, whole, carefree...

Show & Tell Fridays - expose me to the most amazing people and their amazing creations. It's a wonderful virtual space to express myself. And for every entry I offer, in return I receive limitless inspiration. Yeah, I love Show & Tell Fridays!

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!

Temple















   





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...