"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Monday, February 27, 2012

Au Naturel

Viola Davis - Best Actress Nominee
(@ the Oscars, 84th Academy Awards, 2012)

"...in your life wear your hair. Step into who you are!"
- Julius Tennon, Ms. Davis' husband

It's been nearly a year since I began my journey back to natural hair. It's been a fascinating, frustrating, exhilarating, scary, and liberating experience. It's also been a lonely one. I rarely see Black women (or women with naturally Nappy hair) wearing their hair in its original Nappy state. And I almost never see photos and/or articles about famous Black women in their natural Nappy state. So you know that I was sauvagement ravis (wildly thrilled) to see a famous, accomplished sistah walk the Oscar red carpet in her natural Nappy state!





Oscar-Diva!

I soon learned that, until the last week or so, Ms. Davis always wore wigs to cover her Nap (sigh) and that wearing her Nap was a big step forwrad for her (no surprise). I can't imagine making such a couragous leap on such a huge global stage - go on gurl! But the best part of this story is that her decision to go au naturel was fully, completely, totally encouraged and supported by her mother [who whipped her daughter's butter (an African American hair term) for the big night] and her hubby Julian.

In my first 'Nappy Hair Affair' post I wrote that having the support of loved ones is an essential factor in a Sistah's decision to go Nappy - and it seems that my experience is not unique. Even so, Sistahs who decide to go Nappy are rare birds - a non-intended exclusive club. So when I discover a 'new' member, I notice and have got to give praise and support. So here's to a brave Sistah who has the nerve to debut her Nap before the entire world. Here's to her mamma and hubby for supporting her! Here's hoping that she fully embraces her Nap and throws away all of those wigs!

*Ms. Davis has inspired me - there will be more shout outs to Nappy Sistahs in the future. Inspiration for all.

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!

Temple  

Rocking my Nap w/ Peacock feathers in my hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...