"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Sunday, January 08, 2012

French Girl's Wardrobe - Kimono

"Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on simplicity." - Plato

The Kimono is dramatically, unabashedly feminine. Quietly sensual. The wide, long sleeves, the train, all that silk swirling around your body; encourage you to move a bit slower - languid is the adjective that comes to mind...


One of my earliest girlhood memories is of the effortless grace of my mother (Dorothy). She was a working mom, and her amazing sense of fashion and style seemed so effortless, chic and glamourous. Pencil skirts, flowy blouses and stilleto heels, topped with a sweater coat or chinese silk jacket - si beau!

And her graceful chic continued at home. One of my favorites was that, while most of my friends moms wore terry-robes or some combination of jeans and sweats around the house, pas ma mere. No, she always wore a vintage white silk Kimono, hand-embroidered with red and pink cherry blossoms - except for when she cooked. For cooking she wore a blue and white patterned cotton 'every day' Yukata (it had special arm holes so that your sleeves stayed away from the open flame - cool).  

Mom gave me her Kimono & Yukata for my 21st birthday. I rarely wear the Kimono (it's so old and delicate), instead it holds a revered spot in my tiny closet (yes, it will be Sage's one day ;-) and the Yukata disintigrated a few years ago :-( But I've always planned to have my own Kimono, I just had to find the right one. A few days ago, I did...

Vagues - Vintage Silk Kimono

It's easy to see why the Kimono is so appealing. The Kimono is dramatically and unabashedly feminine and quietly sensual. The wide, long sleeves; the train; all that silk swirling around your body; encourage you to move a bit slower - languid is the word that comes to mind.

There are literally thousands of different designs, colors, and types of embroidery - you can find the one that speaks only to you, one that reflects your individual style. And if you get a vintage Kimono, you can be assured that it will truly be one-of-a-kind. 

I love the simplicity of this design
and the intricate embroidered waves on the hem.



Of course you have to have something(s) equally Diva to wear beneath your fantabulous Kimono...


Jewel Nightgown ($106) from Sandmaiden Sleepwear

Or maybe something equally Diva but that also makes allowances for Motherhood... 
Jewel Pajama Pants ($76) with a matching Camisole ($56)
from Sandmaiden Sleepwear



Before I ordered my Kimono, I showed it to mom. She loves it, but she also told me something that kind of rocked my world - she did not get her Kimono until she was just about the age I am now. It always amazes, sometimes frightens, me to see how many points of my life run parallel to Dorothy's. We're very different women, but there are core parts of our beings that are so similar - that comforts me...

On another note: my Kimono experience made me realize that it's been years since mom has worn a Kimono around the house. I think that it's time for her to start wearing one again - yeah. Her birthday is coming up...

*I'm wearing my 'new' Kimono as I update this post. It's even more glorious than I suspected - DIVA!

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!

Temple




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...