"Every city has a sex and an age...Paris, I believe, is a man in his twenties in love with an older woman."
- John Berger
Yesterday I watched a movie I haven't seen in years - one of my favorites of all time: Diva (1981). Set in Paris, Jules (a young postman) is wildly in love with a gorgeous famous opera singer - Cynthia. The only problem is that they've never met. Throw in music pirating, a prostitute, a few corrupt policemen and politicians, a mysterious French gazillionare and his young roller skating Asian lover - all framed by Paris...well you get the idea ;-)
The film's soundtrack is as glorious aurally as the film is visually - I've been listening to it as I was working on a jewelry order. Anyway, I started thinking of my favorite film soundtrack songs. Like my music, the movies I like/love span every genre and era. Of course this is just a tiny fraction, but I think that they're perfect for my latest Paris Playlist...
1. Anyone Who Had a Heart - Dionne Warwick (Hairspray, 1988)
2. La Wally - Wilhemenia Fernandez (Diva)
3. Lose Yourself - Eminem (8 Mile)
4. Someday I'm Coming Back - Lisa Stansfield (The Bodyguard)
5. Windmills of Your Mind - Sting (The Thomas Crown Affair)
6. You Belong to Me - Anita Baker (Why Did I Get Married?)
7. The Flesh Failures - Cast (Hair)
8. No Ordinary Love - Sade (Indecent Proposal)
9. Someday - John Legand (August Rush)
10. Goodbye Horses - Q. Lazzarus (Silence of the Lambs)
11. Out Here On My Own - Irene Cara (Fame)
12. Let It Go - Luba (9 1/2 Weeks)
13. Letters From The Sky - Civil Twilight (I Am Number Four)
All of these songs are available @iTunes. In the meantime, here's a little taste...
Vivre! Rire! Aimer!