"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Behind the Gate

Place des Vosges (Temple photograph)

"And the secret garden bloomed and bloomed and every morning revealed new miracles." - Frances Hodgson Burnett, The Secret Garden (1910)

I'm always on the look out for interesting and beautiful blogs, sites, etc. about Paris. There are literally thousands of Paris themed blogs and sites - and I've slogged through a whole lot of them. Still there are only 6 recommended here (see Going to Paris? on the right hand side).  I'm extremely picky, yeah I freely admit it. For me, the blog or site has to not only be interesting and beautiful, but also inspiring. When I look at it, wander my way around, I want to learn something new. I want to dream and fantasize. I want the photographs to be so gorgeous and tempting that they make me want to grab a bag, my passport, and hop on a plane - right then and there. With a city as interesting, mysterious, and gorgeous as Paris, you'd think that writing about Her would not be too difficult - well, it so totally is (as I can personally attest).

So when I find a blog or site to add to my 'Paris picky list,' rest assured that it is a special blog indeed. Well, this afternoon I found the latest addition to my picky list: Behind the Gate - Private Places to Stay. It's the latest brainchild of the fabulous Lisette (My Secret Paris). Behind the Gate's premise is pretty simple, to discover the most beautiful, romantic and intimate hotels in Paris. This blog had me the moment I saw the first hotel featured: Hotel Duc de Saint Simon. I first heard about this tiny hotel in 1994 (in Sandra Gustafson's excellent travel series - Great Sleeps in Paris). Later that year, while I was in Paris, I walked past their front gates several times. I have been dreaming of staying here ever since.

Front Entrance


Staircase next to the antique check-in desk


My room ;-)


No words needed (hee hee)



All photos, except for the first, are from
the Hotel Duc de Saint Simon's 'site
no copyright infringement intended.

Behind the Gate blog is very new - I'm her first follower and there are only three posts to date. So it's pretty bare, but the bones are beautiful and sound. And the theme - intimate, gorgeous, little known small and elegant hotels in Paris - parfait! Of course, you know that I had to write Lisette and suggest that she visit Hotel Le Tourville. I can't wait to see where she takes me next! My 15th wedding anniversary is coming up - put in a good word to Mr. Gorgeous for me?

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!

Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...