"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Friday, May 27, 2011

Show & Tell Friday: Vanity

Vanity Nook

"If the beautiful were not in us, how would we ever recognize it"
-Ernst Haas

For a few years I had a pretty vanity in my bathroom. Though I really liked it, it just took up too much room. So, last year I decided to try an unusual solution. In one corner of my bathroom is a tiny linen closet. I put a vintage commode in my hallway (for all of my linens, supplies, etc.); and got a few French market baskets for my towels. Then I removed the door and shelves from the bathroom closet, had a low deep shelf installed - et voila, my little vanity nook. 




My goal was to create my ideal of what Josephine Baker's vanity would have looked like - luxe, decadent and ultra feminine...


I found the ornate vintage Syroco wood mirror at Etsy, the upholstered low back swivel chair at a local flea market (in perfect condition), the light/magnifying-mirror lamp at Walgreens, and the antique boudoir lamp at a local boutique called Denise's Adornments





I found glass jars for my creams, lotions and potions; and a hand-painted sugar bowl for my cotton balls. One of Sage's tennis trophies is perfect holder for my specs (my 8 year old). Rory (my 9 year old) gave me the pretty little clock one Mother's Day - picked it out himself ;-) Never (my 6 year old) bought the heart ring for me last year in Paris. The little Hippo was my beloved sister's (photo #3, lower left-hand corner).


And of course there are flowers, there always has to be flowers!


Previous Show & Tell: Lys de la Vallee


Vivre! Rire! Aimer!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...