"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Monday, May 09, 2011

Fete des Meres (Mother's Day)

Mother's Day 2011

"The sweetest sounds to mortals given are heard in
Mother, Home and Heaven" - William Goldsmith Brown

Mother's Day is one of my favorite holidays. My children give my mother and I the most beautiful hand made and decorated cards and it's the only holiday where we all get dressed up and go out for a fancy dinner (mom and I cook feasts at home for all the other ones).

Me and my Mamma-Fantastique!

And while everyday is literally and figuratively Mother's Day, taking an entire day to celebrate motherhood is essential and oh-so needed. And while I'm a mother, our Mother's Day is always about celebrating my mom. Afterall, I would not have the life I live, the wonderful family I am blessed to have, or even be a mother without all of the amazing mothering Dorothy did and continues to do. Now that I'm a mother, I appreciate, respect and love my mamma so much more - as my mother, a grandmother, and most importantly as her own woman.

Mother's Day also makes me take pause and reflect on motherhood. Being a mother is not about bearing children, it's about raising them: loving them, teaching them, guiding them, supporting them. Motherhood is about sheparding a precious soul(s) to adulthood; it's about providing your children with material, mental, and spiritual support in order to help them realize their full potential as adults. It's a heady essential job - is it any wonder that the prospect of such an awesome responsibility scared me silly?


But here's the thing, Motherhood is about so much more than that. It's also about seeing the world through new eyes, excited with every new discovery. Looking at the world through my children's eyes colors are much brighter, scents more aromatic, flavors more nuanced, beauty much clearer to know.


Rory, Never & Sage

Probably the most earth-shattering lesson that Motherhood has taught me is that children sheppard their parents' souls, love, teach, guide us; give us material, mental, and spiritual support - helping us realize our full potential as human beings. They give better than they get, and I am so grateful...

Me & my girl

And there's something Goddess powerful about having a daughter. Yes I see pieces of myself in all of my children, but Sage is literally and figuratively a mini-me. I see so much of my girlhood self in my daughter. Best yet that's where it ends, because I can also clearly see that Sage is her own girl waiting to further bloom. She's fearless enough, imaginative enough, smart enough, free enough, fierce enough to boldly make her own way, do her own sistah-thang. I can't wait to see who she's going to be...

Happy Mother's Day ;-)

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!

Temple







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...