"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Saturday, July 24, 2010

Compensation ma tete {Clearing my head}

Walking the beach with my darling Coco

Bonjour Mes Amis,

This is the time of year that many Parisians leave the city and escape to the beach for two or three weeks. One of these days, I'm going to do the same. I'll blog about it, of course! In the meantime, I decided to do the same, though much closer to home...


Soon after Peter and I first began dating, he invited me to join his family for their annual vaca. Every August, they'd rent a little house a few steps from Lake Michigan; in a little town called Sawyer. For the next 11 years, I joined them. After Peter and I got married we started going as a couple, then as a family (after the babies started coming). So, for the last 20 years, I was privileged to spend a week at the beach every summer. Sawyer is a little speck of town, filled with artists and people who want to live as simply as possible. It's a funky little place, filled with unique and downright odd people - and I fell hopelessly in love.  Sadly, for the past 4 years we have been unable to go (it's a long story).

Anyway, last week I had reached the end of my...end. I was tired (exhausted really). Too much everyday craziness, not enough down time with my family, not enough alone time with my man. I needed to run away with my family. No phones, no pc, no tv, no little league practice, no summer camp, no Pete having to work late nights - no nothing except my family, the sun, the beach, and some great food.

Pete surprised me by taking off the entire week of my birthday. Hoping to return the favor, I found a little cottage in Sawyer (w/ access to a private beach), called the owner (literally at the last minute) and asked him if his cottage was available - he said yes! That was on a Friday. Saturday morning we packed the car and we all piled in (including Coco and my fat cat Henri). By Saturday afternoon, we were all on the beach - HEAVEN!

Thus, for the last week, I have done nothing but loll on the beach, walk the beach with Coco, stay up late, sleep in, wander the woods surrounding our cottage, eat lots of great food, drink too much ;) and...hang out with the fam. In short, I've been clearing my head.



Well, I'm back now. Refreshed and raring to go. I'm still putting the finishing touches on my next 'weekend in Paris' post and I've got several interesting things in the works.
 Jusqu'a la prochaine fois (until next time)...


Vivre, rire, aimer!

Temple

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...