"Those who have experienced Paris have advantage over those who have not. We are the ones who have glimpsed a little bit of heaven, down here on earth." - Deirdre Kelly






Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Precisions {Clarification} ~ What this blog is about

Disclaimer: this is not your usual blog about Paris!

I'm still trying to figure out for myself the hold that Paris has over me. I'm an American Historian for goodness sake! Then again, my specialty is African American woman's history, 1890s to the Harlem Renaissance (1920s & 1930s) - an amazing/fabulous period that brought several African American artists & intellectuals to Paris (Josephine Baker, Richard Wright, James Baldwin, Anna Julia Cooper, etc). So in a visceral sense, personally and professionally, my torrid love affair with Paris makes perfect sense.

Still, the hold that Paris has over me cannot be simply explained away by the direct connection between the cite and the intellectual focus of my life. While She (Paris) calls to my academic/intellectual side, in many ways her true power lies in how she makes me feel - whether with or away from her. The things in my daily life that make me feel beautiful, mysterious, sensual, and effortlessly chic all have direct links to Paris. That all sounds a bit 'touchy-feely' doesn't it? But, hey! it's true.

For awhile now I've been thinking of starting this blog and what it would encompass. Pour l'Amour de Paris is first and foremost inspired by my beautiful Paris (mais bien sur!). It's also heavily influenced by two marvelous, and sadly defunked, Paris-centeric publications: This City Paris & Paris Notes.



This City Paris



This City Paris was run by a small group of Parisiens and was filled with interesting articles on that latest goings on, fashion, design, food & wine, book reviews, etc. The design layout was fresh, innovative, and beautiful. I eagerly awaited the latest issue because I knew that I would find countless Parisian gems on each and every page: an in-depth interview with the owner of a small local wine seller, a review of an author whose series of books is based in each arrondissement, the latest exhibitions at well known and little known museums and galleries - always accompanied with the most gorgeous photographs. It broke my heart when I got word that the magazine was being discontinued. I called the editor and she kindly sent me all of the back issues I didn't have. I now own every issue and my This City Paris collection is precious indeed - an endless source of inspiration. Sadly, there are no back issues to be found anywhere! I'm sorely tempted to scan and post each issue here - so you can experience it for yourself. I still have the contact info for the editor, do you think she'll say yes?


The Newsletter for people who love Paris (1992-2009)

Paris Notes was what I call a neighborhood-newsletter. While there were restaurant and hotel reviews, and only a few tiny black and white photos, Paris Notes' bread and butter was providing an running update on the daily pedestrian goings on in the city: strikes, the debate over the Velib(s), zoning issues, the latest local and national political debates/elections, updates on the Metro, the best grammar schools, etc. I always eagerly awaited the latest issue because reading it not only taught me more about the intimate daily workings of my beloved Paris, I felt like an actual Parisian ;-)  Tragically, Paris Notes went out of print in 2009 (big sigh). But Mark Eversman (editor) posted the last 50 back issues - for free - here. Check them out...

Victoria Magazine - the classic years

Victoria Magazine, too, has inspired this blog. In particular the glorious photography that was the hallmark of the classic years.

Oh, and there's one more source of inspiration...an African American woman's spicy point of view ;-) 

{Photo: Moi et une Chat Noir, Montmartre}

Vivre! Rire! Aimer!

Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...